Thursday, July 3, 2008

Reflections on "The Goose Girl"

In the novel “The Goose Girl” by Shannon Hale there are three gifts:*

People-speaking—Many people listen to them, and believe them, and love them.
Animal-speaking—These people feel more comfortable near the mountains, among the trees and places where animals are not in cages. Others are suspicious of those who can speak with wild things.
Nature speaking—The third is lost or rare. Someday, someone will discover how to hear it again.

The main character of this novel does not have the gift of people-speaking. Words get caught in her throat and she struggles to defend her perspective/experience. I find myself relating well to this character, as my primary language is that of movement and words challenge me at every turn.

Right now (or, at least at the moment I closed the book this afternoon) the main character finds herself desperate to stop an imminent war between two nations. Yet she wonders how can she compete with those who have the gift of people-speaking who desire the confrontation.

I began thinking about my current choreography project, gathering and presenting the stories of women of WWII. “Why WWII?” some ask. “There is already too much out there about it.” Well…yes…and, no. Others ask, “Why WWII when there is a war in Iraq right now?” That is true. It is also true that there are military regimes and fighting in so many places in the world right now.

This evening I rode my bicycle, looking at the sun sparkling on the waves in the San Francisco Bay and watching the fog blanket the hills on the peninsula across the water. People are laughing and playing in the sand and walking their dogs and flying kites. The very concept of war feels distant and difficult to comprehend in this moment.

When I go for a walk or ride my bicycle, I feel my muscles contracting and releasing, I feel my heart beating, I feel the trickle of sweat, and words seem to come easily in my mind. I plan grand essays and speeches on the most important aspects of life! As soon as I sit in front of the computer or open my mouth to converse… the words flitter away leaving me feeling flustered, flabbergasted, and frustrated.

And so, as with any skill, if I want to get better, to find more ease and confidence with language, I must practice. And that is my goal with this blog: to strive to articulate my inspirations, instigations, ambitions, aspirations, and passions. I may not always be eloquent, but I will strive to relay in words the musings of my spirit.

*above I have paraphrased the descriptions of the gifts which can be found with more details in Chapter 1 of Hale’s book. I highly recommend reading this novel!

2 comments:

Alison said...

Very eloquent, Elizabeth! My experience of you is that your words are carefully chosen and reflective. You have a deep-feeling nature and you are articulate from your toes to your fingertips. You are clean water!

Bobbe said...

As a musician, I find myself more comfortable communicating with music than with words, but I am seldom at a loss for words. Your review made me want to read the book.
I know you are very creative and successful in communicating with dance and hope to get to one of your performances soon. Keep your wonderfully positive outlook on life. It will take you far.
(cousin) Larry