Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Labyrinth Project



Yesterday I had my first site rehearsal for the Labyrinth Project with two Mendana Productions dancers. We used the labyrinth at St Paul's Episcopal church in Seattle as it is open to the public and we mostly had the courtyard to ourselves. And, in true Seattle fashion, it did rain on us, but only a little bit.

I am relatively new to labyrinths. I went to a labyrinth workshop earlier this spring and learned about how this concept stretches across centuries, across cultures, across religious traditions. They are meant to be a meditation practice, a personal journey into the unknown, a time for self reflection or soul searching. Then, last Saturday, the labyrinth was introduced in my birthing class as a metaphor for going into labor. (Perhaps I will write more about that another time!)

Now, I am bringing the labyrinth practice together with my dance practice.

In rehearsal, we played with the InterPlay concept "Dancing on Behalf Of". The invitation to the dancers is to hold an intention, a question, a concern, while moving. This gives us something bigger than just ourselves to relate to while doing what we do best: dance. We danced on behalf of our own question. We danced on behalf of each other's questions. And we ended by dancing on behalf of the abuse of power in the world. These intentions give our improvisations a sense if immediacy, a way to relate to the world and each other in our abstract expression.

Please share your own labyrinth experiences. What kind of questions do you hold as you walk a labyrinth? Has it been a transformational experience for you? Have you learned something new or gained a new insight? This project is in the very earliest stages of exploration. I would love to hear your labyrinth stories!

3 comments:

Sharie said...

I love "dancing and playing" on a labyrinth. I love the metaphors that arise. Often on my way to the center with my question or issue I meet fellow travelers and there is a moment of connection. Sometimes we become roadblocks in the path for each other. Sometimes we need support and carry each other. Sometimes when overwhelmed by life, crawling is the only way to get to the center to "meet God".

When at last I arrive in the center I love to meet another there and embrace as a physical symbol of God's love for us. Other revelations arise from spending a little time in the center. The journey out is often more energized and playful with skipping and running.

One time I did a spiritual direction session on a labyrinth where we did sort of a side-by-side DT3 form where questions of discernment about life missions arose. Very insightful!

Ally said...

the first time I walked a labyrinth I did so feeling pretty skeptical. What came up for me was amazing and moving. As I walked AWAY from the center on my in-bound journey I was struck by how often in life we feel like we've lost our way, or that there is no way, or no center. The labyrinth was a physical metaphor for the fact that no matter what it seems, we are always traveling towards the ultimate, what ever that may be.

Mendana said...

Sharie--Thank you for sharing your experiences and metaphors for life!

Ally--I'm so glad you had a moving experience. I love that you can't get lost and can't make a wrong turn. I just keep going and eventually get there, even if the pathway twists and turns and how to get from here to there is not obvious. Thank you for sharing!