Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Improvisational Performance

On Tuesday evenings, Gretchen Wegner and I teach a performance skills class based on the improvisational system of InterPlay. I love the integration of voice and movement, of personal content with group expression. I find that InterPlay provides a unique system for ensemble creativity.

In last week's class, I explored internal inspiration alongside external connection. Tuning in without checking out. It's challenging to pay attention to my internal impulses while paying attention to the greater whole of what I am creating with my partner! And yet, I find those moments of group body and group mind so satisfying when they occur.

This week I am performing with the WING IT! Performance Ensemble. The company is celebrating 20 years of ensemble improvisation. Wow! I have now been in the company for 7 years. Before I joined this group, I was scared to death to use my voice in front of an audience. The use of the InterPlay technique has helped me to integrate my voice and my movement. It has been an inspiration for the dance-theatre work I do with my dance company, Mendana Productions.

For anyone in the Oakland vicinity, here are the details for the show:

WING IT!
Oct 23-25, 2009
Friday & Saturday 7:30 pm
at InterPlayce
2273 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA 94612
Tickets=$15

1 comment:

Gretchen Wegner said...

Just saw this post, Elizabeth. That was such a fun class you taught! I remember distinctly what it felt like to "tune in without tuning out" as you so beautifully put it. I love teaching with you, and I'll be sad when you're gone.