Tuesday, October 27, 2009

It's not about being perfect.

On Monday this week, I went sailing at the Cal Sailing Club in Berkeley. The wind was calm enough that Theron recommended I try driving...my first time at the tiller! The wind was so calm that the boat barely responded to my steering. All of a sudden, a gust came out of nowhere (apparently very common behavior on fall evenings on the San Francisco Bay). I completely freaked out! 3 seconds of sheer terror at maybe 8 knots. The wind subsided just as quickly and then I was completely embarrassed by my level of fear.

I am taking great comfort in the phrase "It's not about being perfect, it's about being human."(My perfectionist could use this reminder on a daily basis!) Phil Porter said this to describe what we do in WING IT! We dance, we tell stories, we sing songs, all made up in the moment and out of the content of our lives. As a performance company, we're not perfect, we're human.

Part of my intention for the Art Every Day Month in November is to try new styles of artistic expression. This is a great way for me to practice new things with their own gusts of wind! With my heart racing, I went to the art store and bought acrylic paints and some small square canvases (ranging from 3" to 6"). I have never used acrylic paints before. I have not made two dimensional visual art since junior high! Perhaps these pieces of art will live on my wall. Perhaps they will be Christmas presents. Or, perhaps they will go in the box to give to Goodwill.

Another favorite WING IT! phrase is "Get on. Get off. Get over it!" Perfect for improvisation. Start something, mess with it, end, move on to the next thing.

No comments: