Monday, November 2, 2009

Art Every Day Month--Nov 2nd



Today is Day of the Dead.  Upon completion, this image reminds me of the marigolds I saw in the Mission District in SF this morning. It wasn't my conscious intention while painting to create a marigold, but it seems like that is what came out of it!

I tried to attach some small thin ribbons to the painting during the process to make it more textured and to have a more 3-D quality. But then the inner critic yelled, "That looks stupid!" so I took it off. What was it I wrote yesterday about not needing the art to be perfect or even good?  Oh well. More collage-ness on another day. That's one of the great things about this Art Every Day Month project! Whatever idea I don't use today, I can use tomorrow or the next day!

Yesterday I made a false claim that these paintings are 3x3. They are actually 4x4. I know there are no art police out there to catch me in this misprint, but I just wanted to make right. :-) I do also have some 3x3 canvases to use this month.

5 comments:

Leah said...

Keep on playing and having fun. You'll get that inner critic to take a nap soon enough. :-)

Beautiful painting. Love the vibrant color!

linda said...

Love how you just let it come out, no plans. The color is amazing...great job!

Arlene said...

Wonderful, abstract / impressionistic painting! I love when that happens - that you just start by splashing some color on the page and then something emerges! I have been doing that a lot lately too! Gorgeous.

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

love the brilliant orange! one of my favorite colors...

Mendana said...

Oh my goodness--thank you for the flowing affirmation! It's only the beginning of the month and already I can see how amazing this Art Every Day community is.