Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Creative Space







I dream someday of having my own creative space in my home. Living in a shared apartment, space (like time) is a hot commodity. So far for Art Every Day Month, I have taken over the kitchen table and we have been preparing and eating our meals on top of and around my art works and supplies. This is OK given that it is only for a finite amount of time. The rest of my life, I have unfinished projects stuffed in boxes, nooks, and crannies without the space to leave something out to work on it over a lengthy period of time. My unfinished quilt moves from basket in bedroom, to couch in living room, to frame in corner of bedroom, back to couch in living room. It always feels in the way. Once I finish it, it can live on my bed and be beautiful and be in its place. Until then...

I was a little stuck today on what to do for the Creative Space theme. After cooking a very creative and scrumptious dinner, I decided to pick one area of my home to make beautiful--my dresser. My dresser has been an easy dumping place for papers out of my purse or backpack and all kinds of random small items. It has been a mess since I moved into this apartment over two years ago. Until tonight! I took everything off, dusted the top, cleaned my little mirror (a gift when I was three years old), put a fabric (gift from Africa) over the top and then just put the beautiful items I want to keep there back on top (like the jewlery box that belonged to my grandmther). My earring and necklace storage could use a little beautification in the future, but for now, it is a beautiful and calm corner of my home (aka Creative Space).

2 comments:

Leah said...

Oh, I know how it is to live with roommates and always be moving your art stuff around. But I love how you made this corner of your home more beautiful. All those small spaces you make your own, lead to the feeling of a unique, creative home. I love what you did with your bureau top!

Mendana said...

Thanks Leah!

And just for the record, my "roommate" is my new husband :-) But the result is the same in trying to keep my projects out of the way!