Thursday, November 26, 2009

Small Art

Art Every Day Month



Last night T and I visited our friend Gretchen Wegner.  She pulled out her collection of simple art supplies, recently purchased while visiting Leah--founder of Art Every Day Month, and we made small art.  In this case, small=2 1/2" X 3 1/2".  So fun to sit in her new living room, chatting and creating things together!  We talked about art tools and feeling intimidated by not knowing how to use them. With permission to create Bad Art, I tried a new-to-me tool: watercolor crayons. I love how the colors smear and mingle as I add water to the paper. And then Gretchen pulled out some glitter glue. I am not ashamed to admit that I LOVE glitter! For some inexplicable reason, I feel so satisfied with my two little pieces of art and I have no idea what to do with them now.

Art Every Day Month has turned into Art On Some Days Month. My original vision was to commit an hour a day to art every day, and that worked for the first few days. But then my Pilates certification process began and I took a trip to Seattle and I said yes to working on the tech crew for Smuin Ballet for their Christmas season... I feel a life lesson lurking in here somewhere.  Perhaps my vision was too big to sustain and I could practice in smaller incremental ways. Or, perhaps, I could learn something about prioritizing and if I want to accomplish big art visions, I need to not take on so many other activities. Both could be valid lessons for me to learn!

2 comments:

Gretchen Wegner said...

It was so fun to have you two over! And I'm thrilled that you love both your pieces, for some "inexplicable reason." Maybe because small things are cute? Maybe because the pieces are infused withe the fun memory of playing together? Who knows! But thanks for blogging about it.

Mendana said...

I think both of those questions play some part in the attraction to my art, plus it is something that I made, so that makes them enjoyable as well.